When NAWBO was founded in 1975, its mission was to become the voice of women business owners, helping them connect with people, resources, and information that could help them achieve their entrepreneurial goals. Its annual WODA awards event celebrates women business owners’ accomplishments and recognizes leaders in private and public sector nonprofit organizations.
This year’s 22nd annual Women of Distinction Awards luncheon was held on Saturday, October 22, at the Conference Center of Las Vegas and honored 13 dynamic women business owners.
NAWBO Southern Nevada Honors Women Business Leaders
The list of nominees at the well-attended event covered 13 categories that truly reflect the diversity and range of Southern Nevada businesses, owners, and industries. The three nominees in each category exhibit personal and professional dedication that sets them apart and an excellence that inspires others.
Past honorees include Christina Vela, CEO of St. Jude’s Ranch for Children, and Marie Tomao, an educator who founded the Youth Leadership Authority.
Those honored at this year’s event were:
1. Arts/Entertainment/Media — Casey Jade, founder and CEO of Casey Jade Photo
2. Business/Restaurant/Retail/Manufacturing — En-Ming Hsu, co-owner of Sip LLC
3. Corporate/Government Services — Miriam Lira-Hickerson, Ombudsman of Consumer Affairs for Minorities at the State of Nevada Department of Business & Industry
4. Education/Sports — Felicia Wright, owner of The Learning Outpost
5. Entrepreneur of the Year — Joy Hoover, CEO, and Founder esōes cosmetics
6. Gaming/Hospitality/Convention Services — Kenyatta Lewis, Executive Director, Supplier Diversity, Sustainable Procurement, and Training with MGM Resorts International
7. Glass Ceiling — Chaka Crome, founding partner at Crome Law Firm
8. Medical/Healthcare Services — Souzan El-Eid, MD, FACS, breast surgeon at Comprehensive Cancer Centers – Southwest Breast Surgery Center
9. Philanthropy/Community Service — Hannah Brown, founder/leader of Community Development Corporation
10. Professional Services/Public Relations — Susan Hoy, CEO at Nevada Guardian Services
11. Real Estate/Construction — Caroline Chavez, broker, owner & CEO at Legacy Property Management
12. Rising Star — Jennifer Inaba, communications manager at Western Resource Advocates
13. STEM — Dr. Rochelle Hines, Co-founder, and CEO, Associate Professor (UNLV) at Tessellate Therapeutics Counted among the impressive roster of 15 sponsors were MGM Resorts, Nevada State College, and the Pinecrest Foundation.
Empowering Women Business Owners
NAWBO Southern Nevada is proud to serve as a supportive resource for local women entrepreneurs, offering networking opportunities, access to valuable resources, and regular events that promote professional and business growth.
When you sign up for NAWBO membership, you enjoy benefits that include:
- Gaining greater insight into your goals and using that knowledge to develop better
leadership, empathy, and resource management skills.
- Exposure to other ways of doing business and the chance to learn from other women
entrepreneurs’ successes and missteps.
- Connecting with peers who share your work ethic and ambitions and who are ready to
hold you accountable and keep you on track.
Join NAWBO Southern Nevada Today!
Along with incredible networking opportunities, NAWBO Southern Nevada offers workshops, lunch meetings, and other business-related activities, including webinars, advocacy initiatives, and leadership development training.
Women’s business ownership has been steadily rising, and Southern Nevada is a huge player in the trend. NAWBO Southern Nevada is here to give women entrepreneurs the support and encouragement they need to power their dreams and enjoy the personal and professional life they’ve always imagined. Visit our membership page to learn more about joining!